Lineage OS is the new name for “Cynogen OS” which is no longer available to download. There are a lot of custom Roms out there, You can flash one of these if you want to get stock android like experience on any android phone. Custom rom gives new life to your old Android device. Although Nexus 6P comes with stock android. You can get some additional features by installing custom rom e.g You can customize the user interface with different themes and icon packs. You can also change the notification icons and alter the notification light settings. There is also an option to customize the startup animation.
The best feature that was missing in stock android was “night mode”. You can set up Night Mode in Lineage OS and there are also custom options to change screen colors to warm or cool. Moreover you can alter the screen resolutions in some roms. You can also get rid of some Google Playstore restrictions for Apps. I was able to install latest Pixel Launcher after installing custom rom. Here in this blog post you can learn the installation of Lineage OS on Nexus 6P using TWRP Recovery. I’ve also uploaded a video on YouTube.
Unlocking the Boot-loader is comparatively easy in Nexus devices.
Part 1 : How to Flash TWRP Recovery
- Download Lineage OS 14.1 Zip file, TWRP Recovery for Nexus 6P ,GApps Package and Android SDK Tools if you don’t already have these.
- Allow OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging
- Connect Phone via USB Cable
- Open Command Window and Type “adb Devices”
- Allow USB Debugging from On Screen Notification
- Reboot Bootloader
– adb reboot Bootloader
– fastboot flashing Unlock
– fastboot Flash recovery “twrp-3.0.3-0-angler.img”
Part 2 : Lineage OS Installation from Recovery
- Boot into recovery and do a factory reset.
- Go to install and select Zip file for Lineage OS and Gapps
Swipe to install.
Wait few minutes